This program is free fast and powerful solver of bridge double dummy and preferans problems. The basic features are
- full tree investigation to the end, the solver always will find the exact solution, which includes the best move and number of tricks in optimal game for [north/south] and [east/west]
- option of estimation of all moves. Program can estimate not only best move, but all other moves and show number of tricks for them.
- one can setup not only double dummy problems, but problems with any number of cards, for example double dummy problem without very first turn
- loading problems from pbn (portable bridge notation) files
- loading problems from *.txt,*.dat files which were stored by deep finesse.
- save problem to html file for publication on the web, or add the problem to the existing html file
- save/add problem to html file with best move and/or number of tricks in optimal game
- convert libraries pbn, deep finesse, bts, pts files to html
- skin support
- the solver will find the second, third etc moves much faster than the first one, because of storing positions which already have been calculated
- multilanguage support: english, russian and italian interfaces are available now. You can add some other language by creating new language file
- program has a big library with bridge and preferans problems
If you are interesting of using of solver for bridge competitions you can view additional features.
Click on picture for enlargement
By default language of the interface is english. There are english, russian, italian languages available at the moment. You can manipulate by the language using Options/load language file submenu. Language is stored in special lng file which has simple format. So if you want to add new language please create your own lng file and send it me.
Note. Current language will be stored automatically on exit.
Browse pbn and deep finesse files
The solver has feature load the problems from pbn (portable bridge notation) or deep finesse files. Pbn format is the international standart for bridge notation. Usually pbn file includes several double dummy problems. If you'll browse pbn file the solver show you dialog panel which includes number of the problems in the file. The dialog has first/last next/previous buttons for navigation. Current problem is showed in the main window. Chose the problem which you want to solve and close the dialog.
Setup new problem
To setup new problem select menu item Problem/New or press Ctrl+N. After it all of the cards will be on the West. Now click on the cards which you want to move to the north. When north will have 13 cards click on the cards which you want to move to the east. Finally click on the cards which you want to move to the south. If you click on the card which has north, east or south then card will move to the west. As well you can drag the cards to north, east, south or to the absent region. After it setup trump or non-trump game by clicking on the picture of trump and player who will make first move by clicking on the arrow on the table. If the first move already have done then drag current card to inner rectangle. An arrow in the inner rectangle will show on the next player. You can do the second move etc.
Note. It's possible to setup the problem where each player have 1..13 cards. For example each player can have 8 cards or it's possible to setup double dummy problem with no first very first turn.
If you press ctrl+left mouse button then the card move to the player to whom you move last card. Let you need drag cards 2 3 9 10 6 to north. You can drag every card to north, but it's possible to do it easier. Drag 2 of spades to north, after point to 3 of diamonds and press ctrl+left mouse button. 3 will go to north. The same you can do with other cards.
Press button or click right mouse button to find best move. The solver will show you best move, time of calculation, number of tricks for each side if they will play optimally. Now you can press or right mouse button second time or do the move yourself, by dragging the card from current player to inner rectangle. You can undo the moves, just click on the inside card. One can undo several moves by clicking on the not very last card. There are helpful buttons undo all, undo, redo, redo all.
One can change all problem parameters such as trump, card position in the middle of the game. Press menu problem/edit problem or Ctrl+E. After it you can move cards, change trump and first turn.
Save/Add problem to html file
This option is useful for publication problems in the internet, and for printing. It's possible to store problem with or without pictures.
When the solver stores the problem it adds html-tag <p> to file, for example, for this problem it's add <p id=102> to html file. So you can refer to task. You can store the problem with best move and/or number of tricks in optimal game. Below you can see the same problem, but stored with best move and number of tricks.
Note. If you store the problem with best move or with number of tricks then you should wait until program find best move. It can take some time.
To store more than one problem to one html file you should use menu item problem/add problem to html file and select required html file.
One can convert library of pbn, deep finesse, bts, pts files to html. It's useful when you want to store hand or library to html file. To do it select menu problem/converter next select files which you want to convert to html. One can select any number of files which you want to convert. Click convert button.
Estimate all turns
This feature is very useful for problem analysis. The option is in option menu and has five possibilities.
- don't rate turns - Computer finds best move and will not estimate any turns.
- rate only best turn (partial tricks) - Computer finds best move and shows estimation of best turn and all other cards with the same sequence. Tricks which current side already has taken will not be added to estimation.
- rate only best turn (total tricks) - Computer finds best move and shows estimation of best turn and all other cards with the same sequence. Tricks which current side already has taken will be added to estimation.
- rate all turns (partial tricks) - Computer finds best move and shows estimation of all possible moves. Tricks which current side already has taken will not be added to estimation. It's take time to estimate all possible moves.
- rate all turns (total tricks) This options is used by default. - Computer finds best move and shows estimation of all possible moves. Tricks which current side already has taken will be added to estimation. It's take time to estimate all possible moves.
One can setup autoplay mode using menu options.
- never autoplay - program will never do moves automatically
- autoplay on sequences - program plays automatically if all possible turns are in sequence
To switch from bridge to preferans and vice versa use menu problem/bridge or problem/preferans
Note Game type automatically saved under exit.
version 3.01 20 september 2012
setup card indent inside suit manually
version 3.0 11 september 2012
fixed bug with LastTrick and Status windows placement for Windows Vista and Windows 7
added file association (bts,pts,pbn)
fixed bug with cursor capture
fixed bug with editing problem description
some flickers were removed
fixed bug with corners of cards
improve storing of html files
add italian language
add check that file with problem from library already exists
click on any player name in preferans to change player
click on any arrow rectangle to switch first turn (bridge+preferans)
remove many pictures (this produce shadows for some windows versions)
remove a lot of other bugs :)
version 2.23 8 february 2012
small memory leak fixed
update mechanism is improved
version 2.22 17 may 2011
add saving type of html without images
remove local references for pictures
version 2.21 5 february 2011
version 2.20 2 december 2010
version 2.19 10 june 2008
version 2.18 26 april 2008
version 2.17 13 december 2007
version 2.16 16 august 2007
version 2.15 30 july 2007
version 2.14 17 july 2007
version 2.13 4 july 2007
version 2.12 31 may 2007
version 2.11 30 march 2007
version 2.10 14 march 2007
version 2.9 9 december 2006
version 2.8 31 october 2006
version 2.7 1 october 2006
version 2.6 7 february 2005
version 2.5 4 november 2003
version 2.4 3 september 2003
version 2.3 18 july 2003
version 2.2 1 july 2003
version 2.1 16 june 2003
version 2.0 2 june 2003
version 1.2 28 april 2003
version 1.1 5 february 2003
version 1.01 16 january 2003
version 1.0 15 january 2003
History of preferans problem solver
At first program could solve only preferans problems. After the third version was issued I started to develop solver of both bridge and preferans problems.